Saturday 23 June 2012

Grass Jelly Drink

On a hot day (which is happening increasingly so as we progress into July), I always feel like popping over to the nearest food court to get myself a glass of nice, cool grass jelly. Of course, this would be counter-productive. The nearest food court is not near at all. I would be victim to the hot equatorial sun on the way there, and back.

Getting a grass jelly drink to cool me down would serve no purpose.

Until I came upon a curiously black jelly vacuum-packed in a tube just like tofu. What is this oddly coloured confectionery?

Grass jelly! For slightly over a dollar, I bought myself a tube. No harm in trying. After googling to find out how to transform my brown-ish jelly into my favourite refreshing, jelly-bits-at-the-bottom beverage, I hit the jackpot.


Grass Jelly Drink
Serves: 1
Source: Red Cook

4 oz unsweetened grass jelly, sliced or cubed finely
3 oz chilled water
Simple syrup, or sugar, to taste
Ice cubes

At the bottom of your grass, lace the sliced grass jelly and add the chilled water. Stir well until the drink has a consistent colour and add syrup. Top off with ice cubes, yum!

Notes:
1) You could easily cut down on the sugar if sweetened grass jelly is used
2) Mix it up! Try adding 3 oz of soy milk instead of water.
3) For a richer taste, gula melaka syrup or brown sugar can be used

And, nothing is a proper grass jelly drink without a nice fancy straw. The bigger, the better. All I had was a really narrow one so I had to scoop up my jelly bits with a spoon. 

If you have never seen or heard of grass jelly before, pop down to your favourite Asian supermarket or the like. Trust me, the trip there is worth it. Buy a tonne of jelly and save the future trips, because you will be drinking five cups of these a day.

And, grass jelly has supposed healing properties. Hell, have seven cups a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment